Our Mission Statement: To offer our best to God through Worship, Fellowship and Care for the Community
The peal of eight bells was cast by the London firm of Mears and Stainbank and raised in 1904 when Christ Church was opened.
The heaviest bell, known as the tenor, weighs nearly three-quarters of a ton and is tuned to the key of F.
At the time of the opening of the church, ringers had been recruited from local towers and a Mr Edwin Breeze was appointed (a paid position in those days) as Conductor.
It is not surprising that in that period of history, Belfry Rules were drawn up for the ringers. These rules are still on display in the Ringing Chamber.
The bells were removed from the tower in 1951 on the occasion of the centenary of the birth of William Hesketh Lever when they were tuned and rehung with new fittings. It is believed that an offer to augment the ring to 10 bells was declined by the ringers, perhaps due to their concern arising from lack of experience in ringing on this higher number of bells. There was no other tower in Wirral at that time which had more than 8 bells.
Details of the Present Bells
|1||F||28″||RING OUT THE FALSE RING IN THE TRUE||4-3-0|
|2||E||29″||RING IN THE LOVE OF TRUTH AND RIGHT
RING IN THE COMMON LOVE OF GOOD
|3||D||31″||RING OUT THE DARKNESS OF THE LAND
RING IN THE CHRIST THAT IS TO BE
|4||C||32″||HE PRAYETH BEST WHO LOVETH BEST
ALL THINGS BOTH GREAT AND SMALL
|5||Bb||35½”||DISDAIN ONE MUST THE FOOLISH WORKMAN
WHO BRINGS NO THOUGHT TO WHAT HE TRIES
|6||A||37″||FAITHFUL WORK ADORNS THE FREEMAN
HONOUR KINGS RECEIVE FOR SPLENDOUR
|7||G||40″||WHEN PEOPLE UNRESTRAINED WOULD LIVE
THE PUBLIC WEAL NO MORE CAN THRIVE
|8||F||45″||FOR THE HONOUR OF GOD AND FOR THE USE OF
THIS VILLAGE THESE BELLS WERE RAISED BY
WILLIAM HESKETH LEVER A.D. 1904
Bellfounders, traditionally, have used imperial rather than metric measurements – and still do. In the above table, diameters are given in inches while weights are given in hundredweights-quarters-pounds.